Journey of the Mughal rug
Two rugs that were made by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in 17th century B.C started their journey from rug making factory of Lahore to the palace of Shah Jahan. From palace of Shah Jahan they went to the ancient tomb mosque of Persia. From Persia they made their way to Robinson and company and the travel in different European phases started after that that ended in the Frick collection till to date.
According to the authorities present at Frick collection, in 18th century inventory of the mosque we can find first mention of this precious rug. This rug is larger one. In 1800 century Ardabil mosque sold this rug to Robinson and company. The reason of selling this rug is said to be weak financial status of the mosque and great price that Robinson and co paid to the mosque.
This rug was about 30 feet long as it was made especially for the palace of Shah Jahan. Between its sell and delivery the rug was cut down into several pieces. According to Robinson and co, this piece was either cut by mosque authorities or by other Muslims way between the deliveries. Whether Muslims cut it or the Robinsons themselves, later on the rug was stitched back near to its original position by the firm.
Repair of the rug:
While repairing this precious piece of history, Robinsons collected all the pieces and formed the pattern in according to the original design. The missing embroidery was done by skilled people. Although the imitation embroidery is not as good as the original one, it is not as bad as you can distinguish between original one and the imitation. After collecting scraps and adding missing embroidery, they added a fringe to the rug.
This was the time when Henry clay Frick bought this piece of rug. According to the New York Times, Henry clay Frick bought this reinvented carpet in may 1918. The rug was sold in 39,050$ at that time.
The smaller rug that was produced with the larger one was present in the collection of Baron Maurice de Roths child. Henry clay Frick bought this smaller rug from Duveen in 19,000$.
Henry clay Frick bought both of these rugs to adorn his home. Until 2005 both of these rugs were present in the home of Frick as a part of his personal collection. Later on when his home was converted into the museum these along with other pieces of art like paintings and sculpture, these both rugs made their way further in. now both of the rugs are framed and are present on the walls of Frick museum.
After so many years the rugs are still soft and are not worn out. Most of the colors are retained in its original vigor. The production of the rugs is very fine each and every knot is well defined. Frick collection museum has maintained both of the rugs quite well.