If we put an eye on the market of the rug we will see that demand of handmade rugs is a little bit down as compare to that of machine made rugs. Reason behind is that handmade rugs are expensive and are made with much more effort as compare to machine made rugs. They take centuries in completion and are fine and smooth, although people are unable to buy these expensive rugs; they still hold great attraction for art and history lovers. There are people who do not put a single glance on the bargain, act on their impulse and just buy what they love.
The fame of the rug is irrelevant of the fact whether it is handmade or machine made, however it is better if you know before buying a piece. Today it’s a little bit difficult to judge between handmade and machine made rug but following tricks will help you in making difference between both.
– guess what material is used in making of the fug. Gets a thread or yawn out of the rug weaving, Taking a yawn will not affect overall design or making of the rug. Burn this thread and notice its smell. Smell of the silk is like burning hair, rayon will smell like plastic and wool will smell like cotton. You can guess which material is used in handmade and which material is used in machine made.
– Mostly wool and silk are used in handmade rugs whereas cotton and rayon are used in machine made rugs.
– take the rug between both of your hands and rub it gently if the rug is warm it is wool or silk meaning its handmade if it’s still cool it is made up of rayon or cotton meaning machine made.
– check if your rug holds any tag. Most of the machine made rugs bears tags.
– Machine made rugs are a hybrid of polypropoline, prolyoflin or a mixture of synthetic products and wool.
– Rugs of Italy, Belgium and Western Europe are machine made.
– take the rug in your hands and examine carefully. Handmade rugs are same from both sides; there will be not a noticeable difference between colors on both sides of the rugs. Whereas if there is difference between colors like one side is dark and the other side is light the rug is surely machine made.
– There are clear knots visible on back of the rug if it is handmade. Machine made rug will be smooth on both sides.
– Price also play very important role in making difference whether the rug is handmade or machine made. Usually a handmade rug will cost you thousands of dollars. As told in the beginning of this post that handmade rugs are quite expensive than an average person’s income. You cannot imagine getting a handmade rug below 1000$. Also if the rug is Persian and is old a century or more, its price will become double its actual worth.
On the other hand price of a machine made rug will be fair enough.